1) Dr. L.D. Sanghvi Oration Award
The ISHG also gives once in two years Dr. L.D. Sanghvi Oration Award. This is delivered during the Annual Meeting of the Society.
2) Young Scientist Award
Every year the ISHG will give three Young Scientist Awards (YSA) in the field of Human Genetics. As a mark of recognition, the best three works in order of merit will be selected subject to presentation and defense of their work. The three best candidates will be awarded with a medal, certificate and cash prize as detailed below. All short listed papers will receive waiver for registration, accommodation and travel support will be provided by 3Tier AC via the shortest route. The award will be subject to oral presentation in the YSA session during the annual ISHG meeting. Awards will be declared and presented during the same meeting.
The candidate must not have completed 35 years of age by 31st December of the preceding year or 3 months prior to the conference whichever is later. A certificate showing proof of age must accompany the paper.
Number of awards: 3
Award presentation: ISHG young scientist award.
Award carries a medal, certificate, registration waiver, accommodation waiver, travel waiver and prize money of Rs. 5000, 3000 and 2000 in the order of merit. ISHG will provide 3 Tier AC fare by the shortest route.
Criteria for selection
The candidate should be a member of ISHG. If the candidate is not a member he/she can apply alongwith the submission of his YSA application.
Six copies of (i) completed application from; (ii) extended abstract (1000 words); and (iii) a full length paper should reach the Secretary, ISHG, by 31st January 2016.
The paper submitted must be the result of sole/major work done by the candidate. This can be authenticated by the candidate's claim for being the first author of the paper. A letter from the mentor should support this claim. If the work is a part of Doctoral thesis, a certificate from the guide that the candidate is mainly responsible for the findings and interpretation, attested to and countersigned as above, must accompany the paper. Simple review papers, without any attempt at synthesizing and interpretation, are not acceptable. Kindly submit the application form in the format given below.
Procedure for selection:
Among the submitted papers, a maximum of 9 best papers in order of merit will be selected for presentation in the Annual ISHG meeting. Selection will be done by a screening committee duly constituted by the ISHG President and Secretary.
The committee of experts evaluating the oral presentation of YSA will be constituted by ISHG EC and not by the local organizing committee. Care will be taken to nominate experts who have no conflict of interest with any of the candidates. In case, the candidate happens to be his/her student or from the same institute, the expert will remain a non-voting member for this special circumstance. A special expert will be nominated for such circumstances.
Candidates, recommended for consideration for the awards, are required to present their papers at the Annual Meeting of the Society. The presentation is for 15 minutes followed by 5 minutes of discussion.
If a submitted abstract is not selected as one among top nine submissions in order of merit, it might be allowed for presentation as a poster, subject to recommendations of the screening committee.
The decision of the Governing Council regarding the Awards is final.
The award will be presented during the concluding ceremony of the Annual meeting of ISHG.
Application Form for ISHG Yong Scientist Award:
Yong Scientist Award - Certification:
3) Professor I.C. Verma Life Time Achievement Award
|Administering Agency:||Indian Society of Human Genetics (ISHG)|
|Frequency of Award:||Once in Two Years|
|Award Details:||Rs. 20,000 cash award and a medal and citation + Travel, board and lodging support to receive the award. The awardee will be requested to make a presentation of his/her work during the Annual Conference of ISHG.|
Rules and Regulations
- The award is meant for Indian citizens and will be made in an Annual Conference of the ISHG, once in every two years.
- Potential awardees shall be nominated by a Life Member of ISHG at least 60 days before the inaugural day of the Annual Conference of the ISHG during which the award will be given. The nomination shall be made using the Nomination Form provided by the ISHG for this purpose; the filled nomination shall be sent to the Secretary, ISHG, so as to reach him/her within the prescribed deadline.
- A nominee can be (a) of any age, (b) shall have made significant and sustained lifetime contributions to human genetics and its development in India (c) shall not have received the LD Sanghvi Oration Award of the Indian Society of Human Genetics or the Professor I.C. Verma Lifetime Achievement Award, and (d) should have worked in institutions located in India at least for 10 years immediately preceding the year of the award.
- The President of ISHG shall set up a Committee to make the final selection of the awardee from among the nominations received.
Nomination Form for Professor I.C.Verma Lifetime Achievement Award: